Sunday, October 2, 2011

She's a star collector...

I am very interested in the things people collect. There are some really interesting and really strange collections out there. Matchbooks, stamps, coins...these are the usual, normal collections. Now, what do you think I collect? Chuck Taylors? Gray tshirts? Dust? Wellllll, if you've been in my basement you might think I collect too much. One footstep away from "Hoarders". Not too far off, but in all honestly lots of the basement stuff is not ours. It is in residence for others until they are ready for it. Another discussion for another time. I have had different collections in my time. When I was younger, it was bunny rabbits. They could be ceramic, glass, wood, clay, whatever. As I got older, those didn't seem so cool. I then got into movie posters. My mother should have bought stock in the Stick Tack corporation. I had posters from every Alfred Hitchcock movie, every Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart and Harrison Ford film. Those things were plastered on every available inch of wall space in my room. In college it was CDs. I bought them, subscribed to the "Get 10 CDs for a penny" clubs, traded them with friends. I have always had a great love for many types of music, so maybe these were more of an investment. When the Brain and I were first married, we used to go to a lot of auctions. My parents used to take us to auctions when we were little. I have always loved the process. Watching the different signals, the auctioneer and his little minions. A dear friend of ours got involved in going and started buying antique Mason Jars. He became an expert on said jars, buying them from people across the country. He began giving me little jars here and there. Some that were very valuable and some that were antique but very common. A few years ago I sold most of them except the very valuable ones. My one remaining collection remains. It contains several of these:



I know. Not what you'd expect. I love a beautiful oil lamp. I am a plain Jane kind of girl, so I don't really care for the big ones that have colorful glass in them. I think about a time when the great minds wrote by lamplight. Where beautiful sewing and handwork was done in the evenings by a lamp. I don't know...none of those things might have happened. Just what I like to think about when I find a new one.

I remember my father telling me a story about a mattress company in North Carolina that asked people to collect their belly button lint so they could stuff their product. He's a teaser, but yuck if it were true. I found out that a man at our church has one of the largest beer stein collections in the world and is looking to seek it to an Australian collector. What we collect says a lot about us...tells a lot about us. I collect lamps...what does that say about me? Not sure, but I do not like a dark, dingy room. What does your collection say about you?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment