Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fall Break...why can't you be now?

Just like at the end of the school year or the week before Christmas break, children around this here ranch are starting to get the Fall Break crazies. I know I am getting them. Actually, I'm getting the pre-Fall Break "clutzies". I did a long FB status on it today, but I'll give the details.

Today I worked my few hours a month job subbing in a classroom with little nippers. They were very cute and well-behaved, considering their ages and amount of time in school this year. I gave a child enzymes for a medical condition for the first time today. I read a story and got a little crazy. I had a little one tell me that their sibling had an "ear confection" and was sick. All these things were very cute, but I needed to skedaddle out of there, get some lunch and do some prep work for the evening madness. I stopped by Arby's, it's good mood food, and drove home to enjoy my roast beef sammich and Sierra Mist. With a little whistle and step, I walked into the house to find an off-putting smell and a nice juicy mound of goo in the floor. Our dog, a sweet 13 year old lab, is reaching the twilight portion of her life. She experiences more issues these days, bless her heart. Once I discovered the scene of the steaming heap, so to speak, I immediately let the dog outside. Assessing the amount of stuff to clean up, I started into the kitchen to gather cleaning implements. While walking, I was sliding my hand along the countertop. Now for those of you who don't know us, we are in the long, slow process of remodeling our kitchen.. The countertop is lower in some places since it is going to be replaced. Our Jenn-Air stove sits a little higher than the level of the counter, providing a wonderful opportunity to catch a finger...which is exactly what happened. Once I felt pain, I pulled my pinky out to find a crimson line quickly forming on top. But, because I am tough(cough cough), I pressed on. Gathering up cleaner, estimating the number of paper towels, counting out the Kroger bags...I was a machine of focus and efficiency. I turned around, ready to take on the mess and get to my delicious lunch. If only it had been that easy. The Brain has taken up at least 4 layers of flooring up, replacing it with new sub flooring and pretty underlayment. In order to protect this pretty stuff, we have put layers of brown floor paper down and secured it with super duper masking tape. Well, some of the masking tape came up and and stuck my shoe which then stuck to the rag rug causing me to lose my footing....propelling me into space and into the wall. Good move. Once I recovered from the idiocy of what had just occurred, I started back into the breakfast room to continue on my cleaning mission. My newest shoes are a little large, as I left room for warm winter socks. I tripped up on my own two big feet, landing uncomfortably close to the object of this whole story: the steaming pile. While I said a few choice words, I started the cleaning process, growing increasingly worried about our dog's health. There was blood in there. Oh no! Then, I just happened to catch a glance at what once was a crimson line and was now a dripping bloody mess. After finishing the whole cleaning process, finally, I washed my hands with great precision and devotion. The once piping hot bag of Arby's was not lukewarm and the enjoyment was gone. Maybe this is why I should make a sandwich at home. It is certainly why I need Fall Break....NOW!!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment