Thursday, October 20, 2011

A good idea...apparently everyone else had it as well

Cold, rainy days lend themselves well to three things: pajamas, movies and soup. As previously stated, I do not like rain. It throws my day off, my mood off, my oomph off. Thank the good Lord for Panera. I had to be at school early this morning to help with G's class, so I skipped the most important meal of the day. When I got an extra chill taking the fifth trip outside to the recycle bin, I felt a sudden urge for soup. Now mind you, I just had spent a good half hour peeling potatoes for soup tonight, but I longed for some that I hadn't had to make or clean up from the construction process. So, feeling almost giddy at the thought of lunch out, I headed out in the trusty Sequoia to find my elusive soup, feeling somewhat cocky about my very original idea. Someday I will finally find a clue and realize the obvious. Today was not one of those days. My first clue should have been the line of cars waiting to even get in the parking lot, but I foolishly thought that Arby's must be having a great deal on potato cakes or something. Once I got in the parking lot, the plot thickened. You see, people lost all sense once in the perpetual ring of parking lot. Fighting for parking places, dagger looks for parking place thieves, one random couple making out in the middle of the mayhem, dagger looks at them and the one random monster truck that had not judged how little it pulled into its space. Its trailer hitch out so far that it caused a bottleneck and more drama to ensue. If I hadn't been so desperate for my soup, this whole situation would have been popcorn and lawn chair spectator worthy. Desperate for soup....that sounds sad and, oh, a bit melodramatic. Let's say instead that I was really looking forward to the soup and the much needed warmth it would bring me today. After finally somewhat taking my life into my own hands, I secured a parking spot and wrapped up in my scarf to brave the elements. Once inside, I stood behind two very talkative ladies who had also encountered our amorous parking lot friends. After hearing a rant that consisted of the line, "I mean if you're making out, at least put your bagel and your cell phone down," I knew I had to do something. Upon hearing this, I couldn't help myself, sidled up beside her and said, "Stop talking about me like that", which caused a chain reaction of a dropped purse, coffee exploding out of her friend's mouth and nose and both of them crying and having trouble breathing from laughing so hard. After concluding that one half of the amorous couple worked at Panera, the chatty girls plotted their attack on the employee. I got my soup, sammich and iced green tea and headed for a table.

I know that people think I make this stuff up, but weirdness begets weirdness. I guess I just attract it. I still cannot understand why I continue to see people making out at Panera or why people would want to engage in that activity there. Whatever floats their boats, I guess. Bagels and besos. Anyhoo, I got my soup and it was good and I will probably make that mistake again on another yucky day....unless I meet up with the Soup Nazi. Then it will be, "You come back...1 year!".


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment