Monday, September 19, 2011

Taboo talk

This morning, three friends, an expert and I sat down at church to talk about sex. Now, don't get all crazy...not lurid, creepy talk. We talked about discussing changes in your daughter's body while teaching them what the Bible says about this subject. I realize I have at least 2 members of the opposite sex who read this blog and have daughters, so you have my apologies for the terms I may use...but you will be faced with this sooner than you think. The three of us went in with one idea, find a way to talk about bras and hairs in weird places and monthly visitors. We left, eyes opened wide, with knowledge that we were shocked to have. Shocked that certain acts of a sexual nature are most prevalently used in middle school. MIDDLE SCHOOL! I was shocked and sickened at what my girls have to face in their future. I have had the talk with Sarah. It was awkward and strange. I misplaced the book my mom read to me, "Did The Sun Shine When I was Born?". So, instead of reading it to Sarah, I had a pad of paper and had to wing it. After asking her what she had heard of the baby making process on the playground, what I heard made me realize how important this talk really was. I thought about the girls, and boys, who have no one to tell them of this time in their lives. No one to help them navigate through the awkward, scary moment of puberty and beyond. So, I drew pictures and answered questions, enduring her looks of shock and confusion. It was difficult. But after our meeting today, I was made to realize how important my role is in how my daughters will treat sex and their bodies. If I make this subject uncomfortable and myself unaccesible, I am losing precious ground and time that could be used to prevent several things: teen pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, sexual assault, just to name a few. I realized that God gave women as a gift to Adam and that we should teach them to treat their bodies like the gift that they are. I realized that there are small windows of opportunity at every age to discuss these issues, windows that are only open for brief periods of time. I need to take every chance I can to let my girls ask questions. Cliche' but true, knowledge is power. The more they know, the less likely they are to get into situations out of ignorance.

Long-winded story to say this. I am sure there will be some mothers who have a no holds barred approach....tell them everything you need to tell them...no filter. Then, there are going to be some mothers who are absolutely appalled at the thought of this subject being taught by anyone other than parents...and at a church! For me, there may be certain subjects I don't completely agree with her assessment of, but there again will be dialogue I can have with my girls. I want them to cherish themselves and their bodies. To know they are with it and worth waiting for...and to know that they need never compromise for anyone. God has the ultimate design for their lives and if they take care of themselves and listen to him, they can never go wrong. Just my 72 cents.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment