Friday, September 9, 2011

All Soccer's Eve

Tonight is the last night before Saturday soccer games officially start. With three children playing soccer this fall season, our Saturdays are pretty much spelled out for the next 8 weeks. Now, I have ever been fiercely competitive about much....Trivial Pursuit and Innertube Water Polo....that's all. My husband is equally as competitive about most things, although he did make a man almost cry over a game of Monopoly. Just saying, it is always the quiet ones. Up until now, I have only watched Gracie play ball. When she played her first game, something awakened in her that was amazing to watch. She turned from our rough and tumble girl into an athlete. Motivated and ready to score. As much as I wanted everyone to be happy and all the little ones to enjoy their game, I took much pleasure from every goal she scored. This summer, all three participated in the Challenger program where pretty and handsome young adults from the UK hopped the pond to educate the yanks on football, foot skills and different nations that are big in the football world. Fin had his cute little camp with Owain, the Welsh version of Owen. The girls had their camp in the evenings for 3 hours, ending each session with mini World Cup games. Whenever Wales(my girls)got up to play, I felt this strange sensation in my stomach. I realized after day 2, it was the gut check of competitiveness hitting me. I got so into those games, I realized I was in for it come September. And I am. To be clear, I am NOT one of THOSE parents. I don't scream at the other team's kids, yell at the ref and get in a verbal confrontation with my child and the other coach in front of God and everybody. I look forward to the games. I do spend a fair amount of time with my eyes covered. Just like with Virginia Tech football, I can't take the pressure. I have seen my girls' confidence shoot up exponentially since having coaches, the hubby being one, who build the girls up. They teach them skills, work them hard, play them hard and love them hard. Even if the kids all lose tomorrow, I will be sad yes, but I will be proud of their hard work. Of the devotion to their team. The looks of sheer exhilaration and joy while running full tilt down the field. Yes, folks, it is football time in Tennessee...but in our family it is soccer time. And we can't wait!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment