Sunday, September 11, 2011

My thoughts on this anniversary

With the weight that this day holds, I debated today(while blowing off the driveway)whether to even comment.  So many talking heads, so many prolific authors, historians, etc all weighing in on 9/11.  Well, here's my 2cents....or $20.  Like it or lump it.

On September 11, 2001, I was great with child.  GREAT.  In fact, I was 17 days away from having our first child.  The waddle walk was in full effect and my day consisted of walking from one point to another and having a bit of a rest.  This day was no different and I had settled onto the couch with our dog for an hour or so of A Baby Story.  Yeah, I said it.  The show on TLC that I think is designed to make pregnant moms freak out with weird births and other ideas you would never think of while having a baby.  Sufficiently freaked out for the day, I switched over to the ultimate "ignorance is bliss show", Regis and Kelly.  They were looking awfully sober, for them, and saying something about a plane crash and other odd occurrences.  I then flipped to one of the major news channels to read the crawl....and there it was.  My best college friend called, shaken that she could not get in touch with her sister who was living in NYC at the time.  Then we heard the Pentagon had been hit.  Then I started to panic.  Brian's father worked within view of the Pentagon.  Was he okay?  My friend and I rang off, agreeing to check back in as info was gathered.  I commence to calling the Brain, who was in a bunker somewhere at work and had no clue of what was going on.  Realizing the gravity of the situation, he rang off, checked out of work and spent the drive home trying to get in touch with his mom and dad.  I sat in horror watching another plane crash into the other tower and then both come crashing down.  Luckily for us, Brian's dad was fine and was trying to get home in the mass chaos and panic.

The rest of the afternoon turned into a no blinking, total absorption in television time.  Brian, as always, took to the internet.  I called my parents.  My mom was at my Granny's for her caretaking time and was trying to keep her as busy and occupied as possible.  Hearing the crack in my father's voice was wounding.  "Dad, what kind of world is this?  I can't bear the thought of bringing a baby here.  I just want her to be safe."  "Jennifer, your little girl is going to be just fine.  What this world needs more than anything is hope.  That little girl is bringing with her the hopes of a whole new era...these babies are going to bring that hope we so desperately need."  well, hormonal and scared and HUGE, I cried for the next hour at least.We kept the TV on all night and I would catch up on the latest developments during bathroom breaks...which were many.  The next day my mom and I attended the prayer service at church, followed by pancakes at Granny's.  The days ahead became so heavy and while I felt I needed to feel that wight along with everyone else, it became too much.  I resorted to watching Nickelodeon or numerous DVDs to escape.

In the days and weeks to come, there were numerous stories of bravery from emergency personnel and civilians alike...many benefit concerts...supply drives...and a baby.  A sweet, squirmy ray of hope that made me realize the sun would come up again and that life would go on.  In one of the concerts, John Ondrasik from Five for Fighting sang "Superman".  Now, I know that they are top 40 and I have lots of music particular friends, but it really spoke to me.  These men and women risked their lives to save people they didn't know.  One man was out of the tower and went back in to help a woman in a wheelchair, ultimately losing his life but showing his Superman character to his child forever. 

I hope that I can somehow show my children how ordinary heroes are the ones who keep us safe....how they go to work, help their kids with homework, coach little soccer teams, go to church and pay bills just like anybody else.  And, they expect nothing in return.  When 95% of this entry was fluff and boring...okay 99%, I just want one thing to resonate.  Honor the everyday people who sacrifice for us everyday.  They were the heroes on 9/11/2001 and they are still the heroes today.     

No comments:

Post a Comment