Thursday, September 1, 2011

She's growing up too fast....

Well, we had soccer practice #2 of the 3 tonight.  Forget about cruising the mall like in years past, go to the soccer fields.  You will see everyone there.  Be on your best behavior.  You may see your preacher, your child's teacher, your neighbors...your barber.  Whilst watching my husband coach his little band of scamps, my oldest daughter was watching a group of friends from school playing soccer on the next field over.  At first, the glances were quick and infrequent.  Then, when our son and his friend decided to play with these friends....BOYS...her concern for his well-being became all encompassing.  Now, she is a good girl, a great girl.  Never has she once had a boyfriend, or expressed any interest in boys.  I know it is coming, hopefully later rather than sooner.  While the average onlooker would not see anything out of the ordinary, I observed the beginnings of my little girl growing up into a young woman.  She subtle tossing of the ponytail, the laugh that is just a little different from any others.  She is now making her brother write a thank you note to her friends for playing with him at the fields.  All in an attempt to be able to talk with them more tomorrow.  I know that she is nowhere near dating or any of the other unspeakables at this point, but what I saw tonight took my breath away.  I saw a little girl come home from school, put her backpack away and eat her animal crackers.  What I saw tonight was a young lady, who has grown up into a beautiful creature that her dad and I had a part in creating.  What a beautiful gift and an unspeakable heartache all at the same time when I realize what she is becoming.  Sigh....  

No comments:

Post a Comment