Monday, September 12, 2011

The last year of preschool...sniff sniff.

Tonight was the Parent meeting at Fin's preschool. We have had a child in some class or another there since 2002. I can't believe this will be the last year. He got our dream teachers, the ones who had the girls and taught them more than we thought humanly possible in the course of a year. This is one shot of his room, where they will have group time.


This is where he may be cooking up some make-believe delicacies or taking care of some babies if they are having a bad day. He is good at that. If you've never read or heard the song version of "William's Doll" by Charlotte Zolotow, check it out. Always a good reminder of why it isn't a big deal for boys to play with dolls.


Some people think preschool is a bad idea, that the parents should be the only teachers until the age of Kindergarten. I disagree...no judging....just disagree. I am with my boy all day long. We shop together, clean together, eat together and, yes TMI, are in the bathroom together. Moms don't get privacy. I need a little break, but he does more than I. He needs to learn to be away from me, play with other little guys and gals and gain some mad academic skills before he goes to big school. And, if nothing else, he needs to go say some of the things he says at home so people will finally believe that I am not making this stuff up.

Ultimately what breaks my heart, and makes it swell all at the same time, is that there is not one glance back when he enters his preschool room. He goes in with his Thor folder, ready to learn, play some crazy games with the Hot Wheels and maybe, if he's lucky, get to be line leader. But then again, isn't that kind of what we all hope for?



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment