Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I don't know what to do with this...


Forgive my snapshot from my Facebook account, but I must discuss the current situation in my neighbor's front yard. A few summers ago, we came home from a little weekend trip to find this in his front yard. Now before people call me a judgmental wench or the equivalent, please know that I like my neighbor. He's had a hard life and has overcome quite a bit. When I was pregnant with the boy, he lost everything in a house fire...most likely started by a mentally ill person, but alas that is another story for another day. Anyhoo, he rebuilt, freed himself from a tough situation, semi-retired from his job and brought in a dumpster to clean all the trash accumulated in his garage. He has a tidy home, keeps his grass cut, walks his dog in the park at 11pm with a little pistol in his pocket AND has quite unique tastes in lawn decor. I don't know about you, but I have never read in my History classes about cowboy adorned hound dog settlers driving the Conestoga wagons west...pulled by a team of pigs. I did sleep in class a few times so I may have missed something. Needless to say, this display caused quite a stir in the neighborhood and on social networking sites. There are various variations on this display: little squatty cherubic girls with umbrellas and big ceramic dalmations who wear UT tshirts now and then. He threw out plastic lamb and swan planters in said dumpster. His loss was our gain and has given us many hours of pranking fun.

We were growing rather tired of the current yard arrangement. Then, he decided to get ready for the month and half long Halloween season. This is what we found yesterday:



Now, if this is hard to see, you are welcome to go the mobile uploads section of my FB page and see it closer. It is a crystal ball that soaks up the sun and glows at night. Reading the ball is a giant Barbie head...the kind one puts make up on when they are a little girl. In addition, there are mannequin arms to help Barbie Make-Up Head read the fortune. Today, Barbie Make-Up Head Fortune Teller is a Vol fan, shaking her pom poms for the neighborhood. I thought at first maybe I was the only jerk in the neighborhood who felt this was a picture worthy situation. Apparently several parents picking her children up at the private school were drawn to it's allure as well. Many people have stopped for photo ops.

Now, this post probably does nothing but make me look evil and mean. I don't want to be thought of that way at all. The man has guts and passion. He finally has a house he is proud of and takes pride in keeping his lawn well tended....decorating it in a way he finds beautiful. God bless him for his guts and creativity. It may not be my taste, but I certainly admire his courage. And who doesn't think that pigs pulling a wagon is cool? I mean, come on.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Stupid autocorrect on the ipad makes me look like a grammatical idiot.

    ReplyDelete