Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I miss Granny on days like this.





Today I had everything planned out. Drop the kids off, do my tiny little half hour a week job, drop the boy off, go to the grocery, get some Starbucks, sit and relax for an hour, get my hair cut, pick the kids up, go to choir, fix dinner, get the kids to bed and then crash. Pretty specific, right? Yeah, that didn't happen. I received a call to sub, which is my job title at the preschool, so I went and spent a few hours with some cute, squirmy 2 year olds. Then, I did get in the grocery and haircut stops. I picked up children and saw interactions that upset me and a choir practice that was full of frustration for many. A few years ago, after a day like today, I would call my Granny and give her the high and low points and then have her impart some of her mountain wisdom. While on the phone with her, I was usually sewing or stuffing some creature that she had patiently taught me how to make. She and I could work out the world's problems over a bunny or a bear. Hands weakened by age and illness still taught me so many things...how some things that seemed so big weren't nearly as devastating as they seemed a few hours before...all over a bag of poly-fil and some bunny carcasses. Even though we lost her, after a long life, she still continues to teach me today. I am so honored to be a granddaughter. And on days when things don't go right and the world seems less than ideal, I can start working on a creature and feel the comfort of my Granny looking down, telling stuff a bunny and get my frustrations out while making some beautiful. Thanks and I love you, Granny.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment