Saturday, September 17, 2011

Football, football, football

I am a fair weather football fan. I guess that is what you call it. Maybe a nervous fan or, a la "Spies Like Us," an "I can't take the pressure" football fan. I believe that bad luck comes right out of my body, through the TV and into the stadium where my guys are playing. If I start watching, the Hokies start screwing up. I'm a pacer and, ultimately, an avoider. Don't know if that is a real word...maybe another ism to put in the book. My boys won today...go Hokies! It is always better when we get a win, although we have been Hokie fans since the 2-8-1 season. You really had to love 'em then. I am not great with lots of the intricacies and that is okay. Acknowledging my powers to change the course of the game for the worse, I flee to another television and watch a movie or show that would not be high on Brain's list. It's a win win situation. What I find most entertaining is the drama or stoicism from the coaches. Spurrier's visored head crying the whole game. Kiffin's peeking out from behind his Denny's menu. Joe Pa's sweater and those glasses, pacing back and forth. Jimmy Johnson's hair...need I say more?

When Football Saturday rolls around again, I'll watch for maybe 30 seconds and then retreat to watch my favorite documentary on Donkey Kong champions. Don't be too jealous.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment