Thursday, September 15, 2011


I am in a musical mood this evening.  Now, some people may immediately be turned off by the image of the most awesome Barry Gibb on the screen.  I guess in some far, far corner of my mind I can partially understand that.  One might be jealous of his generous pearly whites or his thick feathered locks.  But if we are being honest, the brothers Gibb have had quite an influence on many musicians and have written hundreds of hits for big name people.  This particular song is one of my absolute favorites, not just for the words, but because Maurice kills it with that great falsetto that only Tiny Tim could rival.  My brother Mike and I grew up in a very musical household.  We danced through many a room listening to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack on the turntable or Gordon Lightfoot on the reel to reel.  I give my parents all the credit for giving us very eclectic musical taste and the freedom to explore other types of music....even if they didn't find it appealing.  There was a heated discussion between my father and I about whether Men at Work's "Helpless Automaton" was trash or art....but I digress. When we were in need of punishment, removing our music was a big one.  Now, my love for the Gibbs was not isolated to Barry, Robin and Maurice.  I, as an impressionable 5-7year old, loved this man deeply:

Mike and I had a 70's mix tape from K-Tel we listened to on road trips called "The Music Machine", which featured a robot that strongly resembled the Robot from Lost in Space..."Danger Will Robinson!".  It featured the aforementioned Mr.Gibb, may he rest in peace.  Why, here it is!
We were pretty groovy kids, I'm not gonna lie.  This album had songs from Kiss, Alice Cooper, ABBA, Elton John and Kenny Rogers...just to name a few and make you jealous.  We loved our current music dearly, but then Dad would put on something else that would get us going just as crazy.  What could it be?
That's right.  Broadway!  My Fair Lady, The Man of La Mancha, Oklahoma, etc.  Yeah, now you know why I am so cool.  (Cough cough) 

So, now you have a wee glimpse into my childhood and what makes me tick.  This probably explains a whole lot.  Go ahead and make a comment...I can't blame you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment