Monday, August 11, 2014

Sad day

We found out this evening that Robin Williams has passed away. Such a gifted actor and comedian, one could only wonder how one individual could contain so much talent in one body. He had his struggles, obviously, and they were well documented. But oh his abilities to make us all laugh...to virtually have no "off" switch once he got started on a riff. I first fell in love with him as Mork from Ork:



I had my own Mork action figure, complete with the egg ship he traveled in to Earth. We had their board game...his suspenders...trading cards. He knew Fonzie. I mean, it can't get much better than that. My friends and I sobbed through Dead Poets Society. My college roommate and I knew every work the genie said in Aladdin. I had the movie poster for The Survivors. He broke my heart as a grieving father on Homicide: Life on the Street.

I didn't always like everything he did, but I appreciated the talent behind it. Whatever was going on in his life, I am so sad that it ended so soon. Reports are flying madly around about depression and suicide. Depression lies. It will whisper things in your ear and make you think it is the only way. But it is not. If you or anyone you know is dealing with depression, please talk to someone...anyone. There a billion and one reasons to live. I'm just so sad that Robin Williams couldn't see the reasons. I will always love him and stand in awe of his tremendous gifts. Godspeed, Robin.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment