Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Book fair-a-holic

So it's Book Fair time at our school. Evil, evil bookfair. My children have almost driven me to the point of vacationing in a rubber room with their hints and not so subtle suggestions and recommendations for books they want out of the Scholastic ad. They are very diverse in their tastes: everything from "Captain Underpants" to books on shark attacks. Uhhhh, yeah. After every activity we did this afternoon, I got a "Annndd, now we're going to the Book Fair?". Finally, the long, torturous nightmare of waiting was over. We got to the school parking lot and BOOOOOK FAAAIIIIRRRR!!!! Right off the bat, G was disappointed because the one book she had coveted from the start was already out. Newman! She immediately went to the teacher wish board and found a book request for her teacher. The boy wanted anything that had a person or creature with some sort of weapon/lightening bolt/creepy animal on the cover, anything about science experiments or anything that involved setting some sort of a record or that involved Legos or superheroes or ghosts or dogs or origami or ninjas or skateboarders or athletes or Darth Maul. As you can probably guess, he was a little bit of a challenge to rein in. We ended up with a book on presidents, a Fly Guy book or two and one on sharks for him. G got a couple graphic novels and is waiting on one to come in later on in the week. I was sad that the newest Weird Al children's book was not included this year. We got his last one and love it. I got out of there without having to get another job to stop the bleeding. I also got out of there without the inexplicable stick with a pointer finger hand on it. I will never understand the erasers, weird pens and pencils and piddly stuff at a sale of books. Never. I also managed to get out of there without a poster of something weird. One year we got High School Musical 2 or 3 posters. One year S was convinced she needed the poster of the surfer girl who had her arm bitten off by a shark. That one didn't come home...no offense to her. So we got out with lots and lots of books and no piddly stuff. Now mom needs to go to bed.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. ha! I can trump THAT...book (not) Fair is on GRANDPARENTS day. great....just when I was getting comfortable with the phrase "I'm living on a fixed income". My hint? Get in line and then tell your little ones "go pick out three things under 7 dollars each and I'll pay for it..keep watching for gramma and when I get close to when its my turn, you better be here with your three things"

    ReplyDelete