Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cake watching duty

Tomorrow is our annual district Chili Cookoff at church. Each year different groups and individuals and Sunday school classes set up a table, decorate it as much or as little as they like, make their best chili offering, up its ante with extras(cheese, sour cream, peppers, Fritos, etc) and compete for several different places. Votes are made by monetary donations, all of which benefit Wesley Woods, the camp where our children attend every summer. We rang a cow bell every time a donation was given. The FISH class rang a gong. The competition got fierce. There is the Judges' Choice, taste tested by appointed judges. There is People's Choice, taste tested by the people attending the cookoff and voted on by their donations. My friend and I won People's Choice last year. Our badge of honor. The FISH Class won Judges' Choice. There was a lot of smack talk and there were many accusations of results fixing between our two teams. But this year they will be competing against a formidable opponent. This year G and her cohorts in the 3-5 grade group are having a table with chili. Ummmm, I cannot compete against cute kids. That would be a chili suicide mission of total failure. Their chili could taste like dirt and the people are still going to drop cash in their bucket for their effort and "Oh aren't they sweet!" and "That's my grandbaby" and "We don't want the kids to feel bad." If I had a table next to them, the response would be, "I'll pop a penny in her bucket so she won't feel bad...what idiot would compete against children?". Not this idiot. So I am choosing to compete in the dessert competition. I am currently cake watching whilst writing this drivel. I may make another offering tomorrow if I have the energy. But laundry and clean bathrooms take priority in a house of 5. Last year I got an honorable mention in the dessert category with my "Pumpkin Cookies with Penuche Icing". Since lightening never strikes twice with the likes of me, I shall be trying something new. I never learn. Ever. Either way, Wesley Woods will benefit from the competition. The FISH class is bringing their big stuff tomorrow. We can't let the "childrens" lose. No sad faces on the kids. Last year the cookoff made $800 for camp. Let's aim higher this year, friends. Let's make enough to send more than one and half kids to camp. Throwing down the challenge. Eat up and pay up!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment