Sunday, October 20, 2013

Torture by vanity shopping

So in my haste to rail on TLC and their Extreme Couponing show, I totally forgot to tell of our day in home improvement land. Our oldest had cleverly escaped the fold and went to sleepover land, leaving her poor siblings at the mercy of their mean parents. The morning started out harmless enough, sleeping in since all our soccer games were cancelled(thank goodness), snuggling up to watch mindless television for a few minutes and then going for breakfast at the bagel place that starts with a "P" and ends with an "ahhh". The kids had no idea. They quickly caught on when we pulled into the Lowe's parking lot. The smiles quickly sagged, the shoulders dropped. We chatted with a guy in the bathroom department who seemed about as thrilled with helping people as he would have before a root canal. He was as helpful as he wanted to be that morning and we felt there was no need to tax him further by asking him to look else anything up. Also, the kids had become unhealthily entranced by a video presentation on shiny Delta shower heads, only after trying out all the bathtub displays, and we needed to get them out of there. And where did we take them? Home Depot. I know. That was mean. But we had to check out their stuff. Whilst there, we met our new friend, Randy, who I had actually worked with a few years ago. While he is a bit intense and way excited about woods and finishes and door styles, I like a person who is passionate about their job. We designed our vanity, ordered it and the "Pebble" counter and sink. The children opened every appliance with a door, calling us to come inspect every exciting refridgerator with extra doors and compartments. The boy came back to report that he had found candy in one of the dishwashers. Even Randy warned him against the temptation of dishwasher candy. While we did leave there with a new vanity and top ordered, the kids hit their mental limit. I walked around the cornere to look at sink hardware and found this:




He was playing with her hair, trying to talk her down from her emotional ledge. What are little brothers for anyway? We got out of there, they got a special lunch and an afternoon of playing out in the yard. All is well and I think they've forgiven us. I think.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. I loved going to Hechinger's with my dad when I was young. He let me ride on the big fat cart with pipes to hold lumber, and pick up some small things to make my own projects. Nails, screws, nuts, bolts, edgers, molding, paint, epoxy- you name it and if it existed in the mid-70's and was pretty cheap, then I played with it. Built birdhouses no self-respecting bird would enter, garages for my matchbox cars, play "houses" for dolls. Didn't gain any usable carpentry skills, but loved going shopping with dad.

    ReplyDelete