Saturday, October 19, 2013

Things do go bad at some point

Okay, friends. I have to step up on my soapbox for just a couple of paragraphs. Deals are great and I am all about getting a deal. My oldest has, as I have talked about for a bit, gotten in to couponing. Being the cereal eating, leg and face shaving, yogurt eating, hair and face washing, laundry doing and toilet cleaning family that we are, coupons are very handy to defray some or all of the cost of any of these items if we buy the right amount on the right day or week. But I have a terribly huge problem with this blasted Extreme Couponing show. During a marathon this evening, S was watching and getting tips. I was watching and yelling at the television. Here are my issues with this program in no particular order:

1. Why did one woman have over 50,000 sanitary pads that she will never use because she had a hysterectomy? She did not speak of donating them. Just had them in her outdoor stockpile shed. I have two words for her: mouse bedding.

2. Do these people ever listen to the news about toxic cake mixes or poisonous Tylenol that was taken after they had expired? While some items are fresher if used before the date on the box, some of these items can be downright deadly if used when out of date. I used to work for health department, people. These are not a suggestion. The razors and paper towels? Hoard away...but watch for the mice looking for bedding armed with sharp objects.

3. Why does this show have to make all southerners look like inbred weirdos who are cheap and only to be understood if they put subtitles to "translate" their coupon talk? Wasn't Honey Boo Boo damaging enough to us?

4. How messed up are some of these children going to be who have to go on 10 hour shopping trips with their coupon extremist parental people? Shouldn't these kids be playing outside...with their parents...with a ball and not inside clipping coupons with their mom's industrial Fiskars scrapbooking cutter? As a 41 year old person, I would be in the fetal position tucked carefully under one of the organic cucumber displays, praying for it all to be over, but never to be found again since the couponers are not buying anything healthy...which leads me to my final complaint...

5. Someday, we all have to grow up and stop eating like Buddy the Elf or college students who are living on a quarter a day food budget. Between the half a cart full of bags of fun size Snickers, the pallet of Yakisoba noodles with enough sodium to take down a medium sized country or the tons of sports drinks that will hydrate the entire Premiere League team lineup or constipate all the teenage kids in a small town, there is enough unhealthy food purchasing going on to make Dr. Oz clench his heart in fear. I know there is a fair amount of laundry detergent and paper product stuff flying off the shelves on this program, but have you ever seen someone get a cart full of zucchini? A pallet full of kale? Seven baskets worth of bags of baby carrots? Yeah, I didn't think so.

There have been a few who have taken the coupon challenge on to get a cart full of toothbrushes or a truck full of cereal to donate to local charities that help the needy. I applaud them for that. But when, by their own admission, people have more Listerine and Tucks pads than they could ever use in their lifetime, I just have one thing to say...why? If you want to find that out, I'd tell you to tune into A&E's Hoarders. But they cancelled it. Interesting.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment