Thursday, August 2, 2012

The ants to marching one by one...

I feel like a bad word in the form of a person right now. I'm stating it that way because, in the words of Woody from Toy Story, "There are preschool toys present". School clothes shopping all day, cleaning and organizing all evening to ready our family for the start of school and a stomach that is bubbling up like Old Faithful. Sorry to dip my pen in the TMI ink, friends, but that is how it is. Tomorrow we go to visit the land of all things Dolly with our Virginia cousins, so naturally I am resting up. I am going to quickly share with you about the newest members of our family.

My son received an ant farm from his aunt and uncle and, after a series of unfortunate ant snafus, the ants arrived yesterday. Instead of the normal sand like material in the traditional farms, this one has a gel like substance that doubles as a food source. The harvester ants came in a little tube via Mr. Postman and we eagerly dumped them in to begin their work. This is what it looked like after 10 minutes:



Just checking out the crib, seeing all that there is to do. The kids have been fascinated...and so have we. Sure I don't want one at my picnic, but watching them do what they do is pretty amazing. When we got up this morning, I was delighted to see what they had done...and the farm owner was as well:



They had made a tunnel at the left of the picture and moved all kinds of material around. Big plans the little ants have. Now by bedtime tonight, I think they were just showing off. Make us look bad, ant friends:



Here is the other view which I find prettier:



Oh and the farm doubles as a night light. Pretty swanky if you ask me. I don't know if Olympic fatigue had set in or they were bored, but my dad and G were mesmerized for a good while:



I know you all are jealous of the electric party like atmosphere we have going on here. Hey, something to shoot for, people. I'm partied out and going to bed....we'll keep you updated on the farm's progress.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment