Friday, August 24, 2012

Girlfriends, boyfriends and mom's on nerve meds

So who knew that dating was so big with the 10-11 year old set? I did not. I'm no dummy. I remember hearing about friends "going with each other" and remember hearing my father ask, "Where are they going?". Hardy har har. My oldest has never really talked about boys in the dating context other than to say she is too young to date. My baby...I am so happy to hear that. There was a school dance today after class was out. S didn't go, but oh the stories we are already hearing. I can't tell if she didn't want to go or was afraid to go or what. Relief was what I felt. Friends are telling me of handwritten invitations from girl's to boys and demands for phone calls. Several of her friends are boys and they have shared their feelings about other girls to my girl. She is their confidant and not the object of their affection. This is fine with me. I have been told that one of her very good friends has a secret crush on her...by his mother. This is an awkward and strange new position to be in right now. I know she would die before she would hurt anyone's feelings. If this boy expresses his feelings to her, how will she react? I am afraid it would be flattered then panicked then worried. This mom thing is getting harder every day. I know there is a wonderful guy out there for her...probably playing video games and grumping about homework and teachers and kicking the soccer ball with his buddies. When they meet, years from now, it will be a beautiful thing.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Oh, WOW! In 6th grade?!?
    Man am I out of touch.

    Lord, protect the hearts of young girls and help their mothers to make it through the day without Valium.

    ReplyDelete