Saturday, August 25, 2012

A sad day indeed...

Our nation and the world lost one of the greatest pioneers of all time. My brother and I grew up loving all things space related. We loved all the museums, owned all the books, watched the launches and yearned to go to space camp. I was even an astronaut for Halloween one year. So it was great sadness that I felt upon hearing of the death of Neil Armstrong. This private pioneer who had some major guts to, not only go up in space, but to step out into space and set foot on the moon. I mean, come on. There is nothing but awe and gratitude that I can feel for his bravery and enormous contribution to the exploration and understanding of space. Godspeed, Mr. Armstrong.



Our nation also lost one of the pioneers in the art of puppetry and children's entertainment. Jerry Nelson voiced some of our favorite muppets and fraggles. One of my personal favorites, Count Von Count, was voiced by Mr. Nelson. He taught us to count in a vampire voice and laugh diabolically after we finished. What an amazing talent. A voice from deep into my childhood has been silenced. Godspeed, Jerry Nelson.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in Huntsville, Alabama in the 60s, so I was obsessed with all things space! I remember watching all of the liftoffs and wishing I could be an astronaut also.
    I also use the Count's voice and pretend to put my cape over my mouth when I teach the little kids to sneeze or cough into their elbows......one, one sneeze, two, two sneezes, ah, ah,ah, ah :)

    ReplyDelete