Saturday, August 11, 2012

Playing games with my husband may induce tears

We are a family of game players. My husband grew up playing Canasta with his grandmother and I grew up having weekend long Monopoly games with the family. I play a mean game of Trivial Pursuit and can draw a mean Pictionary clue. All this makes me sound like a dynamic and supercool person to invite to a party, I know. But you have not truly competed in any kind of card or board game until you've played with the hub.

When we were dating, my computer minded husband gave me the PC version of Monopoly to pass the hours when I lived by myself. This game was fun, but it cheated. The computer was a cheat! It made me a better player, but made the hub an awesome player. He bought properties with reckless abandon and built houses and hotels all over the board. He was crazed, drunk with power and pastel colored money. This was all very interesting until he played with some friends. They did not own the game and chose to buy it, against my warnings, when we came over to visit. I'm not sure exactly what happened for the next hour and a half, but it was time for us to go and one of the other players had left the room in tears. Here is my recreation of the events:



To his credit, my hub is not mean and spiteful during play. He is a good sport...just a ruthless player who shows no mercy to adult or child. In fact, he's playing UNO with the kids right now and is beating them soundly. But they don't mind. It makes them better soon.

So if you come over for a game night, be sure to bring your "a" game. He shows no mercy to the young or weak when he chooses to "Pass go", collect his $200 and buy some properties. And neither should you to him when he lands on your Park Place....

AGAIN, my husband is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.  He makes me a better player by not giving me any slack...and I appreciate that!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment