Tuesday, June 3, 2014

One time...at band camp...

S had her first day of band camp today. It was so intimidating to drop her off in that high school band room with her little lunch box, backpack with water and sunscreen and her stick bag. She got out of bed this morning very nervous and excited, probably more nervous. I knew her band director would keep an eye out for her and I wasn't really worried about that. I drove out of the school driveway with a sick stomach and a lump in my throat. The siblings kept saying, "I hope she doesn't drop a cymbal on her toe!" and "Those big kids are gonna eat her alive!". Thanks, my caring children. I tried to nurse my coffee, but all it did was make me more nervous. We went to church and I went to staff meeting while the youngers sat in the hall on their ipads. Got through staff meeting and had just walked into my office when my phone rang. It was the band director. Oh crap. Amongst the instructions I gave my daughter when preparing her for marching and the learning said art of marching, I forgot to tell her not to lock her knees. I am one of those people who can lock their knees and not pass out. Why I don't know. It is one of those worthless talents I have. S? Not so much. SHe didn't pass all the way out, but she got hot and clammy and pale and saw big blotches and started to enter the tunnel vision of doom. Ms. B found her right before she was about to crumble and need an crunched ammonia wake up call. What else should I expect? That kid has the worst luck. She was beyond mortified, but rallied and enjoyed the rest of her day. She will be playing the cymbals and other things. She did share some of her observations from the day. (1) High school boys really like to use some pretty bad language. She learned some new terms today. (2) High school boys like to tell lots of dirty jokes and double entendre to entertain them through out the day. (3) Cymbals are heavier than she ever anticipated. (4) If the headache coming from her incident of the morning is anything like what adults get from drinking too much alcohol, she doesn't need to experience it ever again.

Overall, she had a great time with a little bit of embarrassment thrown in for good measure. I think she'll make it...with her knees unlocked.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment