Sunday, June 8, 2014

One anxious mom

Well...well hopefully the boy is slumbering peacefully in his lodge at camp. We dropped him off at 2:45 after checking him in, assuring the staff he had not been exposed to flu or lice and explaining to the camp nurse about his Singulair and that his wonky dilated eye is due to drops and not a severe head injury. He got his first non-hand-me-down camp tshirt and water bottle and we were sent to unload his luggage and make the long trek to his lodging for the stay. As we walked along the muddy gravel road, I tried not to grab his hand. I wanted to hold it tight and never let it go, but the desire to make him feel calm and cool around his new camp friends kept it at my side. As we passed more buildings and gazebos and climbing walls and listened to G tell everything that he might get to do, I felt a little hand reach up and squeeze mine tight. He moved closer, still holding my hand and giving it a couple kisses every now and then. As we walked up the path to his lodge, the grip became tighter. "My tummy hurts. Not a sick hurt...a nervous and excited hurt." "Me too, buddy. It'll be great!". We went in and were greeted by his counselors Cody and Savannah. He used his best introduction manners that his Pop's taught him. "Hello, I'm F. Nice to meet you." Cody showed us to the bunk room and allowed him to pick his bed: top bunk of course. His duffel bag had yet to arrive on the old golf cart they use to deliver bags to cabins, so we stayed for a minute to wait for his bag. He wanted help with his bed. B and I realized quickly that it might be a while before his bag arrived and didn't want to drag out our goodbye. The counselors decided to start a rousing game of UNO which was the perfect opportunity for us to leave. B and I kissed him goodbye, snuck a peek at his UNO hand and got the heck out of there. No tears from any of us, though I wanted to in a big way.

The rest of the evening has consisted of the same few phrases: (1) I wonder what he's doing right now. (2) Do you think he misses us? (3) Do you think he is sad? and G's question: I just want to know who won the UNO game! I know that he'll have a great time. It is hard on a mom to let go, especially of that last one. I am grateful for his bravery and sense of adventure. I love that boy and his, as one of the counselors called it, "Camptastic" hat.






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment