Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The snow is still here

Though we already knew we would have a day off today, it was still very exciting to wake up after the alarm clock and see that a new blanket of snow had covered the footsteps of yesterday's play. The kids didn't sleep in too late, but just late enough to give us a nice little rest. While I was still clearing the sleep out of my eyes, the boy was asking when we could go out and play. Um, well, it was 6 degrees, so that was a big fat no for at least a bit. For some reason, snow days always bring with them the trying of new baked recipes. This morning was no exception...baked pancake squares from Pinterest. It was not the hit I had hoped it would be, but you never know. The hub churned away at his laptop and company phone in his makeshift office up in our bedroom. Our road remains untouched and, with his bad back, we couldn't resist a slip on the ice and further injury, so he worked at home. The kids and I took Copper out and wore her out in the white stuff. That little thing can run like the wind and conked out quite quickly in her crate after about 45 minutes. Remaining family members went out and took advantage of the ski slope-esque street, riding not like the wind, but more like a lazy summer breeze down the road. Every once in a while there was the cry of "CAR" by an adult and the kids scattered out of the line of sliding hunks of metal. After about an hour and a half, coldness and wetness won out and they went inside to dry off and warm up. I decided to to yet another snow day baking experiment and make cookies without measuring or a recipe. I know, I'm a rebel. The resulting product could have gone either way.



As I said in a text to my snowed in friend, "EDIBLE!!!". But really, who can resist a hot cookie fresh from the oven?

Lastly, I must admit we were evil parents today. We found out around 2:30 that we would be out of school again tomorrow. We chose not to tell the children and instead made sure they had extra homework done and their rooms clean...and then told them. Hey, you have to do what you have to do sometimes. It got done, thank goodness. I hope that our road is more driveable tomorrow. The kids will be crazy if they can't be around their own kind tomorrow. So will I. Night all!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment