Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

We all have movies that we quote endlessly...The Princess Bride...Rear Window...Anchorman...Monty Python and the Holy Grail...just to name a few. I've been thinking about the "violence inherent in the system" a lot these days. I laugh at that movie all the time and quote it daily, cough cough, I mean every once in a while. But I have been. We all have something that in our lives that make us want to cry out against the foul of repression. My children are learning about this concept far earlier than they ever should have. While I know learning to cope with this will only make them stronger in the long run, it sure sucks as a parent to see the bitter tears that come with the learning process. Groups of people, not just the obvious race-color-creed types, are repressed and penalized right in front of us and we don't even realize. Well, friends, the hub and I are learning in far too intimate a way about repression. We will not let it stand. You will hear more details as they develop. Just know, I will stand up to the violence inherent in the system. I will be a noisemaker against the injustice.



For now, I will work to go to sleep with tossing and turning for two hours. I will try not to worry about the pup's surgery tomorrow. I leave you with the boy's rendering of me as we waited for G to come out of her class:



I am sitting in a chair with my ipad in my lap. My nose looks a little broken and I resemble a melted version of myself, but I love it. He got the earrings perfectly. And my feet are small for once. I love that kid.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. That is really good for a 1st grader! I am still working on recognizable stick figures.

    ReplyDelete