Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Super snow day surprise

We all woke up this morning hearing of the major winter storm that would be hitting the southy South, you know, below us. There was a chance that it would bring us some of the coveted white stuff, but it wouldn't be lots and would be hitting in the afternoon during pickup time. With that in mind, I went to work in my normal clothes and Vans, no boots or decent gloves, and got some work done before staff meeting. During our meeting, one of the attendees received a call from her husband, one of the people who make the call to cancel school or close it early. When I heard that school was closing early, my heart leapt with joy. Today was going to be one of those day where cloning sounded like a heck of an option to get everyone delivered where they needed to be when they needed to be there. We finished up our meeting, though not before the boss man cautioned us to not be heroes and leave before things got too bad. I finished up some emails, hopped in the Sequoia and made my way up to school. I saw that it was quickly deteriorating and had about 15 minutes in the pickup line to realize that it would be an interesting ride to the middle schol to pick up S. Exiting the school grounds, we went our normal way for all of about two blocks until we saw that bus 19 had turned down our normal street just in time to slide into G's dad's minivan. Low speed, low impact, but still scary and worrisome. So we decided to go the way of our only other option. That is when the 4WD decided to kick off when I was 20 feet up the hill. The car then decided it was done going forward and decided instead to go backwards, turning sideways as it went and was heading for a fenced yard with puppies. Luckily I had the presence of mind to softly apply the brakes...which just slowed the backwards momentum. But something was on my side and I started making forward progress again...but not for long. I started to spin and turn and go backwards again towards a gulley. This was the time that one child was crying about death and the other continuously jabbered and analyzed my driving skills in inclement weather. Luckily for us, the 4WD recovered, we rallied and made it to get sister. After a few tense moments, we arrived at home. Thank God. We had an afternoon of sloth, outside snow play, hot chocolate and snow cream. The dog thoroughly enjoyed herself and probably ate her weight in snow. She looked like the canine Phantom of the Opera, half chocolate face and half snow face. I think I heard her barking "Music of the Night" as she was sprinting in the backyard.

The kids are heading to bed, thankful that they will get to sleep in tomorrow and enjoy some more time in the snow. I love the snow, like a clean white blanket giving us a fresh start. This was a respectable snow and I think our Wisconsin relatives would approve. I'll take it anytime we get it. Be careful, everybody.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment