Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Cells, cells everywhere

When I was in AP Biology in high school, we had to do all of that studying about the different kinds of cells and mitosis and all that business. Because I quickly realized through the course of that class that I was never going to be a practitioner in the life sciences, I became very proficient in extra credit projects. My teacher loved them. Love, love, LOVED them. Good for me, because I was the queen of extra credit. So, thanks to the lovely invention of the Shrinky Dink, I made her plant and animal cell pins and plant and animal cell earrings. My friend D, who was also an aficionado of the extra credit sciences, took a plain pair of cheap white tennis shoes(fake Keds) and made her a plant cell show and an animal cell shoe. This had an almost violent reaction of the excited kind when she was given these offerings at the beginning of class. Just to tell you how old I am, I graduated from high school in 1990 and as of 10 years ago, I heard she was still wearing the cell swag. Fast forward to 2014, my oldet has repeated the shrinky dink cells, although wary of the wearable science project. Now they are hot glued to poster board and labeled according to their sequence in mitosis. Once again, the Shrinky Dink reins supreme....or at least hot meltable plastic fun. Hoop dee doo.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Extra credit got me through AP Physics, though it was memorizing a few phrases in wacky languages like Finnish or Tagalog. Weirdly, I still remember "Good Morning, how are you?" in Finnish, but not 1 formula from Physics.

    ReplyDelete