Monday, January 27, 2014

The most unique party venue ever

Today is my father's birthday. He truly is a hero of mine and I wish I could have been with him today, but mom duties and Monday called. Hopefully he will be enjoying his new mini cheese board and primo cheeses sent from Wisconsin. He is an easy dad to please! My children were more bearish than usual to try and wake up this morning. They all had wild weekend hangovers for sure. I kind of had a Downton Abbey shock-over myself. I went through my usual routine in a bit of a fog, played chew toy for the dog and actually had dinner prepped for the oven by 9:30. I was feeling pretty good about myself. I even had a 20 minute nap with a warm puppy in my lap. Not too shabby. After an always interesting staff lunch, this time at Applebees, I got children from school and brought them home to quickly spruce up for the event. Our neighbor, who is one of the owners of our local funeral home, was having his 80th birthday party today. His actual birthday was yesterday, today was party day. I will say that I have never been to a happy event at the funeral home. I have been in several of the rooms to mourn several lost relatives, but never to hug the birthday boy and then eat cake and drink punch. The kids recognized the room where we ate our food was where we had my grandmother's viewing....and now that I think about it, my grandfather's viewing as well. We were pleased to be a part of celebrating Mr. Griffey's birthday. The children were quite shocked at how many people were there and marveled at his large amount of friends. I explained that he has been there for a long time and helped comfort people in some of the worst times of their lives. What a nice outpouring of love for the jolly neighbor, the man with the deep, booming voice who made sure to get my first handmade teddy bear into my Granny's casket, the one she taught me to make...who, with his lovely wife, came down and hugged my children while we went to put our beloved dog out of her misery...who calls as Santa every Christmas to get the wish lists from the kids and give his snack requests for the year. This is why there were so many people there to celebrate. We are grateful for his service, his family and his love.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment