Friday, January 17, 2014

Puppy milestone

I know, I know. Everybody is getting sick of hearing about the puppy and the minutiae of her every day. Tune out now, friends, cause here comes another heaping helping of doggy details. Wow was that corny. Sorry. Anyhoo, after getting the kids to school, getting the hub's hair cut and mailing back a dud printer to Epson, we took young Miss Copper to her first visit with her new veterinarian who is going to keep her healthy and immunized and worm free for the rest of her hopefully long life...if her humans do what they are told. Dr. Harry McLeod and his wife, Dr. Ruthie McLeod, both go to our church. When we moved here and had our Cosby dog, we went to a vet near our house and used by a neighbor. Her care was sufficient, but at the end, when we needed help the most to relieve her of her pain, Dr. McLeod was the one who made himself available, who stayed late and gave Cosby the peace she needed and had so faithfully earned. They sent us a sympathy card, signed by staff who didn't even know us...prepared a bereavement package...made her paw print in clay for us...took her remains to be cremated for us. While these are services they do often, they meant so much to a grieving family who just missed their beloved dog. So when we found Copper, we had no doubts as to which animal hospital would be stuck with our crazy family. As we pulled into the parking lot, I won't lie, I felt kind of sick. The last time I was there was June 23 and I was a snotty, sobby, dog hair and, sorry, dog urine covered mess. The hub was a mess. We walked in and I sat with Copper in my lap in the exact same place I sat with Cosby cradled in my arms, limp, with eyes that said, "It's okay. I'm ready." It was bittersweet for sure, but a relief to know we were there for a happy reason. She voiced her opinion more than once, but made a pretty good impression and even demonstrated a pretty sit for the doc. I hope that we have a long and uneventful relationship as pet owners/veterinarian and that our longest conversation involves the pastor's sermon and day to day life rather than traumatizing dog health issues. I am grateful to have people in our lives to take care of the furry spirits on this earth who love us without question and care for us when we really should be put in the doghouse. They are true blessings to our family still mourning, hearts still sensitive with the healing scars of loss and sweet pain of rememberance....and the excitement of new life.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment