Friday, January 24, 2014

Olympic sized exhaustion

Tonight was the Mother-Son Olympics at church. My son was beyond excited and had asked me for a week if I was preparing for the events. At six, he didn't completely get the fact that I was working out mentally more than physically. I can't get get into nonhumiliating shape in a week, so I did a lot of pep talking and praying that I wasn't going to make a royal jackass of myself in front of lots of boys and their mothers. The boy picked out my outfit, told me that I could not wear jeans and had me wear workout pants and my New Balance tennis shoes. Once I saw the obstacle course and how it was to be done, I was not so secretly thanking him for his wardrobe suggestion. We went second through the obstacle course which had a long tunnel through which I had to crawl, jumping jacks, Army crawl, bunny hops and crab walking to the finish line. I crossed the finish line and took a little rest before I got up to have the unfit walk of shame to stand with the other moms. Our time gave us a 4th place time amongst the group in which we were placed. I think the 4th place medal is, what, tin? Brass? Pewter? We also threw cheese balls at our sons who were wearing shower caps with shaving cream on them and raced in a relay using the wheeled dollies from my elementary school memories. I did just fine with those. We then ate a meal with our boys and went to make our Olympic team flags and had the closing ceremonies.

Yes, I was embarrassed at my huffing and puffing at an obstacle course. I didn't want to shame my son. But we had a special time together. He is really a neat kid and I just am so glad we got to spend time with him. He gets the shaft a lot of the time, especially being such an easy going guy. I am so blessed to have such a nice and wickedly funny boy. I will crawl through a tunnel and humiliate myself for him any day. This night, however, I am taking an extra motrin before bed. I'm going to need it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment