Friday, December 6, 2013

Soggy la la laaaa, we decked the halls

This torrential rain really needs to move on, people. I woke up this morning to the lovely pitter patter sound of rain on the roof. With a half an hour left before the alarm was the blast music at me, I settled back in to get some sleep. When the torrents started, all I could think of was buckets of water puring into the basement and everything floating in a horrible mess. Sooo I got up and made the bed, feeling a sense of dread about going downstairs. After waking up sleepy people, getting myself ready for the day and making sure everyone was on their way to being ready, I sucked it up and went to the dungeon. Thankfully I went down to happily discover that there were no woodworking tools or bins of summer clothes floating at my feet. I put a few things up in case our luck ran out during the day and went up to pour out some Honey Nut Cheerios for the kids. But the rain has continued to pour and dampen my mood to the point of making me hibernate. Today was B's day off, so we did some Christmas shopping and building supply shopping. Riveting, I know. Even the most exciting people have to have a boring day...not that we are exciting people by any stretch of the imagination.

After the kidlets got home and got their school business out of the way, we started to deck the halls. There is a yearly fight over who gets to hang the Christmas Pickle ornament. Luckily after a dinner discussion trying to avoid a picklefight later on in the evening, G was the child chosen to be the pickle caretaker for this year:



She hid it somewhere within the boughs of the tree. I hope her siblings can find it. The evening turned out fine, better than I had expected. I have carried a fair amount of guilt this season already when it comes to the kids. As usual because I am embarrassed about the under construction state of our house, I have not encouraged the kids to invite any friends over for sleepovers or just to hang out. No one to come over and make Christmas cookies with them or watch Charlie Brown find his pitiful tree. Because of my insecurity, they are rarely invited anywhere because, heck, people want someone to reciprocate when it comes to playdates and I totally understand that. We no longer really have a Sunday School class to claim us since I work with the kids on Sundays and the hub is often recruited to be in a Sunday school classroom when we are understaffed. So no Christmas parties, no Christmas events. I'm not whining for an invite...simply stating the reality I have created. So when I heard them speak of friends getting together with disappointment in their voices, I feel crappy. Luckily they enjoyed hearing Christmas music, arguing over who got to put up what ornament, reminiscing about where the came from and singing a little bit as well. There were more smiles than complaints, more giggles than grumps. We have some awfully forgiving children. Talk about blessed.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment