Monday, December 2, 2013

Power of positive thinking

Once again I am faced with a funny tummy and praying for a false alarm. My lunch choice was not the best decision. I won't tell you what it was, but it involved Thanksgiving leftovers and could be described as the poor girl's Friends "Moist Maker". If you haven't had the pleasure of viewiing that particular episode, you must...it is "The One with Ross's Sandwich". I am hoping that my brain is particularly open to suggestion at this point. The boy came home with reports of his teacher and three+ classmates succumbing to the stomach virus over Thanksgiving Break. I got to spend two plus hours with them the Tuesday before Turkey Day and, of course, got many a hug and secret whispered into my ear. So the combination of yet another puke report and a "Moist Maker" gone bad has hopefully just turned my stomach for the evening.

As I sit here typing, I am also helping G with long division. Anyone who knows me well at all is probably laughing with great gusto at this point in their day. Talk about the blind leading the blind. Truth be known, our oldest surpassed my math knowledge when she graduated from elementary school. Yes, I do have a college degree that required some trig/calculus and a senior level statistics class. I did what I had to do to pass the class (study/tutor/copious amounts of flash cards) and then lost every bit of that information two minutes post exam...never to be accessed again. As I have discussed previously, several female classmates and I had a little crush on our professor and made sure we got to every extra study session. The crush ended when we found out he was married and had heroically delivered his newborn baby on the side of the highway, along with a friendly and helpful truckdriver. I pulled a solid B+ in Zachary Stoumbos's Statistics class. He was a wonderful professor who passed away from leukemia at the young age of 44. He made the class almost enjoyable for a numbers hater like me. For that, I am etermally grateful. Got kind of deep there going from long division to former college professors. But the truth is that when you find the right person to teach you information that is difficult for you personally, it makes all the difference. I hope my children find those people early and are able to develop a healthy respect for subjects that may not be their favorites.

Enough of that. The evil Moist Maker is wearing off, I think, and I believe she finished her math homework without shedding any tears. That's a check in the win column as far as I am concerned. Now to get them settled down for the night and try to stay awake long enough to see Red's fate on the fall finale of The Blacklist. We'll see.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment