Friday, December 13, 2013

Holiday store rage witness

I was determined, friends, to finish up the bulk of my shopping today. Determined. Since my oldest knows that we are some of the man in red's helpers at Christmastime, she thinks she knows everything about what she is getting. I don't like that. While I totally understand that this season, in my belief system, is about the birth of the baby Jesus and the light He brought to the world. Whether or not people agree with it, Santa and presents have become part of it. It is a magical time, one that all children of all ages should be allowed to experience. It is heartbreaking that so many children will never know the blessed baby or the jolly old elf, due to family or finances. That is why I have tried to get my children to understand how very fortunate they are and to always be as kind and loving as they can to others and honor the Advent/Christmas season with their actions.

Okay. I'll hop off my soapbox pulpit for the time being and get to the weird meat of the day. I hit the bullseye store to get a few items for my niece and some stocking stuffers. Nothing too difficult. I was determined to find a gift that would not only completely surprise my oldest, but also be something that she would use and enjoy. I went to the music store that I love whose customer service is top notch. Their guy was honest and told me that he just didn't have a lot of what I was looking for and sent me to the Guitar Center. They did not disappoint. The problem was that I was shopping for items that I really knew nothing about. At all. Kind of a problem when you want to take someone by surprise. Luckily, I got a saint disguised as a young bearded hipster drummer guy who answered every idiotic question I had. I also consulted S's drum teacher to ask her opinion. Purchase made? Check. Excited mom? Check. Here is where the happiness died. I walked over to Best Buy to find an inexpensive gift I needed to pick up. Nothing that anyone there would really want to waste their time on helping me with, but I understood that. After a snafu with the box not matching the display price and confusion about what item I wanted, I had a tag and was waiting in line to check with an associate to see if they had any in inventory. Apparently the woman in front of me had not had a good experience there, was angrily standing in line with that shaky jimmyleg going, looking murderous. Someone accidently stepped in front of her and got waited on ahead of her. Then, her switch flipped. I got called over to another vacant line by a manager,but asked her and then begged her to go ahead of me. "Oh NO! Don't you mind me." Lots of heavy breathing, huffing and puffing. Then she threw her potential purchase down o the ground, shot dirty looks all around and stormed out, almost running into the employees loading a 55in screen into a 46 inch trunk. One person in line said, "I hope she doesn't run her car through the store." I wouldn't have put it past her or blamed her. Maybe I should have been focused on her potential return, but I was instead focused on the people trying to force the 55in TV in a space that was not built to take it. They even lost their grip on it, dropped it and then caught it just in the nick of time. It was a nail biting retail experience.

I must go to bed. Tomorrow brings with it the in laws and the Christmas party at church with all the little children up through Kindergarten. They have lots of energy and I need to be at the top of my game. Night all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment