Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Mono and mucinex and mullets...oh my!

Well my friends, we have a diagnosis. Finally. We wondered if it would ever happen, but it did. She indeed tested positive for EBV, or infectious mononucleosis...or what we tend to call in our family: preteen torture of the ugliest kind. In addtion to the obvious, she has developed an almost swallow preventing sore throat, a messed up tongue and even worse sinuses than yesterday. Edith Ann is gone and some otherworldly being is in her place...and it does not sound like my child. The doctor said she must continue a low fat diet and must resort to couch potato status whilst waiting for her homebound paperwork to take effect. Needless to say, hearing your child beg to die because she feels so sick is hard and, more than ever, I wish it was me in her place.

Tonight was a big night of malaria fighting at out church. A friend decided to charge $10/curl cut to go to the Imagine No Malaria organization that is our conference's focus this year. G got to represent the family and cut off some curls, which she placed in a bag and has big plans for later. After the ticketed guests were done with their cutting, the auction began to see who would shave his head. Needless to say, I was loving it. I have been going to auctions since I was a wee pup and it was easy to get caught up in the frenzy. Needless to say, I now know where my Picky Chick consignment funds are going. Needless to say, I took him from this:





To something of a curly headed mullet...sorry about that Michael:



I tried to shave a VT in there, but the razor had a guard on it and I was unable to get too detailed. Needless to say, he was an excellent sport and that took a lot of guts to do in front of so many people. Malaria is a heinous disease that should only be something we remember, not something we are still combatting. We got a little bit closer to a cure tonight.

Lastly, tomorrow is the big day. Baby Drew is having his heart surgery. I believe in miracles and I believe this boy has a lot of life left to show us all what a walking, talking miracle can do. My heart is so heavy for the burden of worry that his parents and brother must carry. I can only hope and pray that the surgeons' hands are steady, his little lungs find their happy place and that a healing that can only be explained as a miracle occurs. I love that little boy even if I haven't gotten to meet him in person...but I'm making plans. Making plans to see that little guy when he's well on his way to healing from the surgery. He and I are going to have a talk about when his mom and I were in middle school and what our make up looked like(mine was horrible). I'll tell him all about it....and I can't wait.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. As awful as mono is, maybe you understand when my 1st thought was Thank God!

    I got strep throat many times as a kid, lost count of how many. My Ped. Dr. told me to be happy when my throat hurt the worst because that meant my body had defeated the germs and just hadn't left the battlefield yet. (Dr. Rushton was an interesting character.) He said once they stopped fighting, then they would leave and the clean up crew would come in and start fixing my throat.

    ReplyDelete