Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The art of listening

I am currently on the phone with an acquaintance who is severely mentally ill. A few months ago her mother passed away and I went to the receiving of friends. Apparently this stuck in her mind, so when she S was sick, she called to check on her and "return the favor" as she called it. While it was very tempting to quickly dismiss her and get on with the viewing of my favorite crab fishermen, I chose to listen instead. Am I patting myself on the back, telling myself what a patient person I am? No. Not at all. It was a very uncomfortable conversation that took several twists and turns before I finally had to let her go and check on the children. It is really true that there is an art to listening to people, healthy or not. Not sure how I rated on a scale from one to ten. I just tried to ride the wave with her.

In other news, I have turned into a ringtone creating nut. I got one of those ringtone creating apps and I have driven the hub crazy all night. If you have a suggestion for your own ringtone, suggestions are welcome, but if it isn't in my itunes collection, sorry. I am cheap. Just know the hub decided that one of my coworkers should have the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" as their ring. We'll see....

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment