Friday, May 24, 2013

My eyes? Wide open...period

Today I pushed S around an amusement park in a wheelchair. She's still so weak, we just decided that a wheelchair would be best. What an eye opening experience it has been. I have always tried to be kind and considerate to those in wheelchairs or hover round type vehicles. I have kids. I've driven a stroller before. I just had absolutely no clue about how people completely disregarded the fact that I was pushing a pale, waify little sickling around a park. They cut us off, stared until I thought their eyes would fall out and were just generally rude. Now not everybody displayed this behavior, but more did than I expected. The employees were so kind to her and to all of us. I felt guilty having her in the wheelchair, especially when we passed a girl with a Make A Wish Foundation tshirt on. I felt really bad. But we were not trying to get ahead in lines or trying to make a buck in the "Rich people rent disabled people" racket. We were trying tot make things more pleasant for all of us. And the fact is, she still looks like a hivey mess. She has about 5% energy. It was a necessary evil for us. It got some interesting looks that almost made me brave enough to comment on, but I chose to take the high road today. We'll see about next time.

I am asking for prayers for my cousin and his wife who are in the labor delivery room as we speak. They are awaiting the birth of their third biological child...fifth over all. Mom is having some health issues, so we pray for an uneventful time for mom and baby.

Have a good one, everyone. My feet need some rest.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment