Sunday, February 14, 2016

I miss her....

Valentine's Day has always been a big deal in our family. Our family has several people who share their birthdays with major holidays. My Aunt E had her birthday on Christmas Day. We always made sure to have a birthday cake for her after our Christmas feast(and her alcohol soaked plum pudding-wow). My brother and grandmother both are Cupid babies, so Valentine's Day has always been a big deal in our family. We had a family party, my brother getting a cheesecake and Granny getting a Butterscotch Dessert. We all got little gifts and made an evening out of it. Not all kids would be so willing to share a birthday with their grandmother every year, but my brother did it without batting an eye. He would have party time with his friends going to movies or concerts or playing Diplomacy(with me as a spy) and then have his party with Granny with their traditional picture sitting side by side with their candled desserts. As I was walking down the hall at church today, talking to a friend about our Valentine's Day birthdays, I suddenly realized that today would have been her 100th birthday. I kind of couldn't believe it. She was 94 when she passed away and there isn't a day that passes, or a Valentine's Day, where I don't think about her. It makes today a bittersweet day for all of us. I love and celebrate my brother and mourn that my grandmother is no longer here to celebrate with us...to enjoy her great grandchildren and all that they are doing. But I feel selfish in that, (one) because she is in a much better place and feeling no pain and (two)I always have felt that my brother feels the loss on this day infinitely more than I. I was glad to get to spend a little time with him and his family today...to reminisce and get silly and remember.

I miss her so much, but am so grateful for the legacy she leaves. She was a heck of a lady.

Night all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment