Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday gone dark

Today was a typical Sunday. Worked. Played beautician for a 2 year old's doll having a bad hair day. Had to explain to an elementary schooler why you can't kiss the girl you think you love...especially on her face in front of her mother. Comforted some little people when the power went out and made church all dark and eerie with the constant battery backup beeping that will give people facial tics. It was just the excitement I needed to take my mind off the fact that I had been crying like a, well, like an almost 41 year old who had sprung a leak over the fact that our friend and minister preached her last sermon today as one of our associates. The blessing and curse of being a member of a Methodist church. Pastor Melissa will be missed, but she can't get rid of us that easily. People come and go from our lives every day, but our pastors hold an extra special corner of our hearts. They rejoice with us in our best times and are on their knees with us during our lowest lows. A bond that can never be gone...even when they have moved on to many other congregations. Rev. Spurgeon McCart gave me my very first grown up bible. He has long since retired and is living in my parents' neighborhood, but I will never forget his strong handshake and advice to use it as my guide for everything. So as our ministers are currently in the opening of Annual Conference 2013, I hope they never forget, in all their responsibilities, how much they mean in the lives of those they serve every day.

After leaving the emotional, and beeping, church building, I spent some time outside with the children and sidewalk chalk. The boy, as always, got a little out there with his art:



This is somewhat hard to see, but it is his "portrait of himself as a teenage girl with a cell phone". I'm not sure what James Joyce would say about this, but it made for interesting conversation. The portrait was sadly washed away when Sunday went dark for a second time as the monsoons entered the area. We got inside Kroger just in time, me in my Anchorman tshirt, the kids in their probably covered in dog pile shoes from the dog park, and watched several waterfalls pouring from the skylights. We looked a fright, but so did everyone else...drowned rats pushing carts everywhere.

Have a wonderful dark Sunday night, friends.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment