Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Doughnuts and Fireflies

I have a friend who has a food blog that I can't hardly bear to read. It makes me too hungry. Her recipes are heavily French, but she has a wide variety of delectable delights and mouth watering pictures accompanying them. Today I decided to make one of her most recent ones: doughnuts. When my mind is full or my heart heavy, I often turn to the kitchen to make something and take it to somebody for a treat. This recipe was quick to make and, most importantly, was baked in the oven. I have an unreasonable fear of hot oil and will probably never deep fry anything. Bock bock bock. I put these doughnuts in the oven and they were far enough in the baking process for the tasty smell to be wafting through the house when S's teacher arrived. As I pulled them out of the oven and dipped them in melted butter and cinnamon sugar, I looked up to find S and Mr. F looking at me with tummies rumbling. How lucky I was to have a built in taste testing crew. I couldn't taste them since I was numb from getting my new crown earlier...and almost reflexively biting the hygienist, but that's another story for another time. I got four thumbs up and a request to put that in the recipe rotation.

Tonight we stopped in at my aunt and uncle's house to drop some things off and see our Virginia cousins who are visiting this week. It did our hearts good to see the kids smile for the first time in a few days, to have deep belly laughs and to run and play with their dog and tell her what was heavy on their hearts. They caught 10's of fireflies and filled jar after jar. Their twinkling lights thrilled them and took me back to the summers of my childhood. We'd play all day, stopping only for meals and hydration. We'd catch jars of fireflies, watch them glowing while sitting next to a pungent citronella candle whilst eating a popsicle. Good times...good times.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Exchange the popsicle for hand-churned ice cream and that's my summer with the cousins.

    ReplyDelete