Monday, June 24, 2013

A life well played

I have dreaded having to talk about this from the moment we made the commitment 15 years ago. The hub, having never had any kind of pet other than that of the bring it home in a bag of water variety, and I decided that we wanted to take the plunge and get a puppy. After hours of over-researching, we found a breeder that we liked and got on the list to have first pic of their litter of lab pups. They were protective of the little babies, but let us come and visit at two weeks since we did not have any pets of our own to bring illnesses to them. We arrived to find them all in a blue plastic wading pool nursing. Her ear was not bigger than a quarter...cutest thing ever:



We took her home at 8 weeks of age and have had a wild ride ever since. She has eaten CD's, numerous socks, Easter candy and various other weird things. Training turned her into a master frisbee catcher and roller over-er. She mothered our children, protected us when she was concerned and sat on our feet when it thundered. As the years went on and her gait slowed a bit, we looked with dread upon the future. The furry matriarch of our family was aging and it was tough to watch. Last summer we were sure she was cashing it in and she rallied. She gave us an extra bonus year of love. What a gift!

Today she just seemed extra tired. Not the spunky senior we have been living with for so long. So when we came in from swimming, S checked on her to make sure she was okay. I went about putting groceries away, noticed she had not gotten up and started my usual routine. I got her leash to lure her off her bed, but she was not moving. As i went to pick her legs up and move her, I noticed that she was wet and had soiled her bed. I tried to use the sling to pick her up, but no luck. I looked in her eyes and saw the look of, "Enough. I'm just done." I knew we couldn't prolong this anymore. Our vet was backed up until Wednesday, so we called another hospital that has vet who attend our church. They told us to come on. Panic set in as to who would watch the kids. I couldn't drive sobbing. How was S going to deal with this? She adores that animal and calls her a best friend. Our neighbors and my sister in law came to watch the kids while my brother drove Cosby and me to the hospital to meet the hub. We got there and I carried her in, holding her and sobbing, making a spectacle of myself. They took us back and gave us a warm towel to cover her and keep her comfortable. Dr. McLeod came in and explained all the options we had before us, stroked her head and proceeded to get started. Her first injection helped her relax. She was pretty much asleep and didn't seem to bothered by the fact that I was sobbing and drooling all over her golden hair. He then came in and shaved a place on her leg and started the final injection. I placed both hands on her body, whispering my deep gratitiude for the love and protection she provided us, the companionship that would never be equalled, the spirit that could never be replaced. Her breathing slowed and finally stopped. It was excruciatingly beautiful. This precious being I held in my two palms at 2 weeks and now I was there to witness the end of her physical life and the beginning of her heavenly reward, walking around to give pleasure to all who have gone before us. It is a sweet agony I will never get over.Godspeed, my sweet Cosby. You have changed our lives forever and left your paw prints on many hearts. We are heartbroken.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I know how much it hurts to lose a beloved pet. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My deepest sorrow for your loss. It is a hole that can't be filled, but time will blunt the sharp edges a bit. I hope your little ones can remember the laughter & joy through their tears.

    ReplyDelete