Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Then the rain came down...and the floods rose up...

Well, well, well. We woke up to a little surprise this morning...and not the good kind. We have, from time to time, had water issues with our basement. It is not a creepy basement, but not like a totally finished rec room of a basement. I have my sewing machine and craft stuff down there. The hub's workshop is down there. The washer and dryer are down there. Lots of stuff going on down there. The hub went to iron his clothes for the day, no editorials about my being a horrible wife who makes her husband iron, and found liquid in the floor. At 6:20am, he broke the news to me: "We have water in the basement!". My heart sank. We had a good three year run without any issues, but then again we rarely get 7 inches of rain in 4 days. The hub wanted to go out and investigate, but I felt that "Act of God" was a pretty accurate explanation of what caused the leak. He cranked up the shop vac and I started moving rubbermaid, boxes and paraphanalia out of the puddle and onto dry land. I rolled up the carpet and put it in a garbage bag to put in the garage. By the time I got up there, the bag had a good gallon of slurry in it. Yuck. I sent B on to work so he wouldn't hurt his back, cleaned myself up and took the kids to school. After reading to the boy's class, the water wasn't really going anywhere, I returned to try and start the cleaning and drying process. I would fill up the shop vac and dump it in the deep sink. Lather, rinse, repeat. Then after the 57th vacuum session, i took the top off to dump it again. I noticed something floating in the drum part. The kids have a play area down there with lots of craft items, a doll house with fuzzy animals, etc.. I thought about scooping the object out and saving it from the drain or trash. I thought better of it since it was gross water. I dumped the water in the sink, set the vac down and looked. The fuzzy stuff was still there. Annoying. I took a closer look, gasped loudly, started screaming and jumping and doing the heeby geeby dance.



A very unwelcome, but very dead, mouse was stuck to the side. I was more than sufficiently grossed out and probably could be heard screaming three blocks away. I turned a fan on the wet area and went upstairs. I texted the hub who was probably laughing his head off on the other end. After about two hours, I went to check on the drying process. The water had seeped in again, but I had already made it clear someone else would be getting the mouse out. A cooler head come over me. I took the bucket part, with the creepy wet rodent, took it outside in the rain and dumped it over the fence. I had to do that or the dog would find it and eat it and that's a whole area I can't even talk about. After sucking up more things that didn't feel like water, I informed the hub he would be opening the vac. What did he find in there? Plastic Easter eggs and no critters. Lucky dog.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: