Thursday, January 24, 2013

School is cancelled...where's the purple stuff on the map?

Two out of the three kids in this house are ecstatic. One is terribly upset. In anticipation of Ice-amageddon, school has been cancelled for tomorrow so the people of our fair city won't be sliding up and down hills like some sick demolition derby coaster. Our oldest was set to leave tomorrow for Resurrection '13, a hugeongous Methodist youth gathering. She has looked forward to this for so long, probably more than anything else that comes from being a part of the youth group. If the roads are indeed transformed into schoolbus launching pads, the kids will not be making the trek to the mountains. There is still a chance, especially if nothing weather related happens tmorrow, for them to go. I have yet to see any purple on my Weather Channel ipad map. I'm no meteorologist, so I have no room to question the forecast. I just hope she can go if the weather is cooperative. I told everyone that I made sure school would be cancelled because I bought the makings for a school ice cream party tomorrow AND my contribution for the school dance tomorrow AND the snacks for S's trip and delivered them all where they needed to go. Blip....school cancelled. You're welcome, kids of the land.

Ending tonight on yet another downer note, I'm afraid. I found out today our beloved Barry is receiving hospice care at home. He is no longer able to walk and speech will start going next. We were told he has been given months. That was sobering to hear. His birthday is tomorrow, so Kroger has a table with cards for people to write him notes and well wishes. I wrote mine this morning and took the kids back to write theirs this afternoon. I told my friend, D, that it was pretty much a "goodbye and there's no way to express how much you have meant to our family for years" letter. Heartbreaking and eerie all at the same time. How do you possibly do an adequate job of that...ever? Crying in the grocery store will always seem weird, but I know I wasn't the only one. There was a steady stream of people writing their sentiments to him, wiping away tears as they walked away....looking to see if others saw them or if they had hidden them enough. God bless the Barry's of this world. The people who make your day a little bighter with their smile. Who know when your mood isn't quite right and give you an understanding look and a quick hug. Who make over your children like they are their own. We are blessed to have his kind in our lives and are better people because of him.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment