Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kids have weird timing....

Well round 17 of the monsoons came today. It was my morning to read to the kids in the boy's class. It was also the morning that every news outlet was predicting tornadoes and mass scale flooding and, quite honestly, I was waiting for the prediction of frogs and locusts, too. The kids were majorly on edge. Every time a noise would come from outside, they had their little noses pressed up to the windows looking for tornadoes. They all needed a Xanax smoothie for snack time. I left school with a few reservations....they looked so nervous...and went home to do laundry and basically spend some time down in the basement in case Dorothy and Toto came swirling around for an unwanted visit. The family laundromat is down there and so is a TV, so I managed to get the laundry done, keep an eye on the weather and get everything up off the floor in case there were to be unwelcome water in there. That wound up being a good idea because the water came back. In all honesty, it always can be worse. This is just an annoyance. I have not sucked up any baby mice and I really hope that it remains that way. Attempts were made to clear a blockage out of our neighbor's gully which was blocked by their version of "yard trash". This term indicates leaves and sticks and weeds to me. To them, it apparently meant broken basketball backboards, picture frames with rusty nails, 2x4's and various other trash. Out of fear of tetanus, I decided my attempts at being neighborly in the pouring rain were to be terminated after 20 minutes of raking and digging. I was lookin' good, friends. I mean drowned rat in men's pajama pants and an oatmeal colored tshirt good. Then I got to go to church. But never fear, I got a shower and even washed my hair first.

When I got home from church, the kids were in the process of baths and their usual bedtime ritual. As I reached the top of the stairs, I saw my 8 year old. She was frshly pajamioed and sitting at their dressing table looking in the mirror. After brushing her hair, she turned to tell me hello. She looked like the after picture of a person who had been "jumped in" to a gang. I tried to contain my shock. I then realized she had been into the makeup. Do you know how difficult cheap little girl makeup is to get off a face? At 9:00 at night? I mean, why not put tons of that on one's face right after you've had a bath. Nice.

I am retiring for the evening. Watching an episode of "Alias" and then going to bed. LTD, dear readers. LTD.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment