Friday, January 11, 2013

I want to be in a mu-si-cal

Tonight turned into a big ppphhhffffttt. I was supposed to go see "West Side Story" with my friend, A, but my sinuses have decided to go to war with me. My teeth feel the need to fall out of my head and I anticipate a night of Mucinex and motrin. We made a small outing to S's soccer game, which I could not enjoy. The loud yelling and the smell of the turf did not agree with me. And, admittedly, I was turning musical numbers into songs about sinus issues. "Mucinex cheap in A-mer-i-ca...Pain in my teeth in A-mer-i-ca". Or "Tonight, tonight. My teeth just hurt tonight. I'll mo-trin and all will be right." Yes, I'm an idiot. I love me some musicals. I recently saw the Les Mis movie and cried like a baby...several times. What an absolutely heartbreakingly beautiful story of redemption. I could hardly bear it. And Hugh Jackman was exquisite. I grew up watching and listening to "The Music Man". I always wanted to be Professor Harold Hill and sing with the Buffalo Bills. Yes, I'm a girl, but I wanted to be the main male role because he had the best songs. I got to be one of the prop people in "Fiddler on the Roof" and played in the pit band for "The Wiz". My brother and I used to run around the house singing selections from "Man of La Mancha" and "Jesus Christ Superstar". A proud parent moment for me happened recently when my children, listening to one of my mix CD's, sang every word of "On the Street Where You Live" from "My Fair Lady" at the top of their lungs. It doesn't get much better than that.



But for now, I'll dream of Robert Preston, Tony, Tevye and Javert and sing, "There out in the darkness. A fugitive running...fallen from grace, fallen from grace...." and cry my eyes out from the song in my heart....okay that was a little corny. But true.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment