Monday, January 21, 2013

Odd man out

My brain functions differently than most...not that it is a good thing. So when I got a call about my child going to a sleepover last night, I had to pause and think about why someone would ask on a Sunday night. Ding DIng DIng! It's a holiday tomorrow! I'm a little slow, especially on cold meds. Sadness and envy arrived for those left behind. Understandable, but life is not fair. So then today when the other was asked over for a play date, sadness returned. The boy was left with his mother like the poor contestant on "Let's Make a Deal" who gets the goat behind curtain #3 instead of a Apple computer pack. Poor guy. I couldn't blame him for feeling screwed over a little bit. We did a lot of running, picked out a present, ate some lunch and picked out a puzzle to work together. Oh yeah, and we went to another Kroger location(I felt as though I was committing adultery against my other Kroger location)just in time to see two ladies bump carts and get into a verbal war near checkout until the cops got called. See what happens when you cheat on your go to grocery store? All this was less than mildly amusing for him. I totally understand that. Shlubby moms in Converse One Stars who have hacking coughs from bad colds do not hold the same caliber of excitement for the kindergarten boy crowd as, say, the Avengers. A close second, I'm sure. All was well when the hub got home to save the day with stories of crazy drivers and computers and, well, I don't know I wasn't there at dinner. I was instead in search of an economy pack of ping pong balls for a middle school project. Yay school projects where you have to spend money. All I have to say is that she better not open the package until she gets in her classroom. I'm not chasing those things all around the parking lot.

Regardless of whether the boy was happy to have a day with me, I'll always be happy to have time with him. He's growing up too fast and I can see his "littleness" rapidly slipping through my fingers. I'll cherish every second...even if two ladies arguing over shopping cart etiquette are involved.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: