Monday, January 7, 2013

Dinner conversations on the Addams Family

Before a four hour "wear the kids out" stint at the zoo, I woke the kids up early for their last day of Christmas Break, fed them and let them watch The Addams Family. Yesterday I introduced G to this show and it was received in such a successful way, I couldn't wait for the others to try it out. My oldest was a bit skeptical. Being the middle schooler, she had to at least put on the front as the jaded preteen reluctantly indulging her crazy mother's request. But mom knows stuff sometimes....and I knew they would love it. And they did. The funny thing is, even though I love the television show and have always had more than a bit of a soft spot for John Astin, I love the cartoon drawings of the family even more. Charles Addams must have been one twisted guy, but that is why I love him so much. I can't speak for him as a person, his character, any of that stuff. But the man could make a picture say more than a thousand words. Weird twisted words. I have shared this cartoon before, I think, but I never get tired of it:



The kids laughed and laughed, wanting to visit the Addams museum house and loving how Gomez always blew his trains up on purpose. We dicussed how our families were the same and different. We talked about how the Addams family members accepted everybody, loved each other and were happy with who they wereee. We also talked about how we needed to look beyond people's quirks and look at their hearts instead. Who knew deep conversations could come from a 1960's television show? I'll take whatever chance I get to have conversations with my kids. Ahhhh, cara mia.....
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. how delightful of you to share a childhood memory....next should be The Munsters. I remember the family kinda thought it was awful that the one pretty blonde girl (Pat Priest in real life, I think)of the family was not so attractive. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may have to do the Munsters next. I have always had a crush on John Astin....guess because he's so quirky. :)

    ReplyDelete