Wednesday, October 3, 2012

We could learn so much from little people

I have written and erased and written and erased this evening's rumblings about 17 times so far. Haven't even taken a hit of cold medicine yet. I just have to share something that makes my mom heart happy. Let me go ahead and say, I have several friends who are atheists, agnostics, skeptics. Sometimes they read my ramblings. This may be a post they don't enjoy. Sorry... but I guess I'm really not completely sorry for what I'm going to say. I grew up in the church. I've never known a time without church and God and all the moving parts in my life. It has shaped everything about me. There was never a question that my children would be raised the same way, knowing church and God's love for them. Knowing that it was a safe place for them to find comfort and love and knowledge and assurance was extremely important for me. Even though it wasn't bad, I never felt a whole lot of pastoral involvement until I reached youth group age, which saddens me a bit. It wasn't that they were bad guys, just much older and not as comfortable with young ones. I am so grateful that my children have had a completely different experience. There has never been a time in their lives when the ministers weren't involved with them. Dancing with Pastor Don at VBS...talking with Pastor Melissa when the bullies are just too much to handle on your own...body slamming Pastor Jim in the hallway...having your own secret sign language with Pastor Daniel...discussing the shock factor of fire alarms with Pastor Randy. Some of these things seem trivial and non-religious, but to a child they mean everything. A grown up taking time out to speak with and validate them as people with feelings and questions and worth? What a big deal!

Next week, the boy is going to be "Student of the Week" for his kindergarten class. Every child gets a week to help their classmates get to know them better. They get to make a poster about themselves, bring in special snack, a special toy, a special book...and a special guest. When I read the paper outlining the exciting week to him, I asked, "Who are you going to bring as a special guest to lunch? Any relative, friend...someone who really means a lot to you." I realize now, I am more predictable than he is. Assuming the obvious, I figured he would pick one of the relatives who live in town and then start naming the relatives who would be hard pressed to get here with less than a week's notice. "Aunt Sharon?"..."No, buddy...she's in Wisconsin. There's just no way." This is not our first "Student of the week" week, so we know the routine. Imagine my surprise when he spoke without hesitation and said, "Pastor Daniel!". The hub and I discussed it at length. Would the church have a policy against that? Would he refuse because if he did it for one... Would he think we were pulling his leg? We gave the boy all the worst case scenarios we could think of and made him think of 2nd and 3rd choices. Wasn't too interested. So, yesterday, I took the plunge and asked him. It was awkward. Why would a young, married with no children yet, pastor want to spend his time in this way? Graciously he agreed to throw himself into the piranha tank known as Kindergarten and go be introduced to the class and sit at lunch with him. All joking aside, I thought his choice spoke volumes about the importance his pastors and church have played in his life. He feels safe and loved and important. Anyone who says that kids don't pay attention at church, well, they have no clue. They soak up every little thing, devour attention and adore the love. What makes me feel best of all, is that I know they will come to the pastors for the big things: relationships with peers, with significant others, hopes and dreams and worries and fears. So I don't care if people laugh about the irony of the boy's choice. I am so proud of the fact that he thinks so much of his pastor to ask him to lunch as his special guest during his special week....and I can't wait to take pictures.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments: