Monday, October 29, 2012

Frankenstorm worries

First and foremost, let me send out love and prayers for those in the path of Frankenstorm Sandy. What a terrifying time for so many. As a high school senior, I remember being on a college visit when Hurricane Hugo hit. Suck in a Marriott with no power, reading "The Grapes of Wrath" and having meals by sterno as the early afternoon sky turned black and trees went sideways. The storm had devastating result. But in the wake of the storm, as will be the case with this storm, will be so many acts of heroism, of giving, of ministering to those in need. The summer after Hugo hit, my high school youth group went to the sea island of South Carolina to help with the rebuilding efforts after the devastation. To be able to help those in need feel hope was as much or more of a blessing to me as it was to them. Being in mission to others struck me to my core and gave me new life. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a family with very mission minded parents. Opportunities were often presented to learn about giving of yourself. Am I singing my own praises? Heck no! There were plenty of times I did not want to participate...teenage angst or 16 year old selfishness. Why talk about missions at 11:17 in the evening? I went to a missions meeting tonight. That's the big reason. My mother was mentioned several times, for she worked in the missions department at one of our current minister's former churches. She is an impossible act to follow, but is such an inspiration with her devotion and heart for those less fortunate. I have been asked to do something she has done several times but I am not worthy to do. You'll be hearing about it soon enough. Why I agreed is beynd me, but I am committed. It is a scary commitment, but guilt is an effective tool. So, to my friend M, this is what I say about myself:



Oh well. Let's do this thing.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment