Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I thought snowboarding was in his job description

Today was the day my son woke up and said, "Is this the day?!?!!". "Indeed it is, Star Student of the Week! He's coming today." It has been a long time since a child in our house has truly popped out of bed, up in the air and straight into their clothes...but it happened this morning. He did take a few minutes to decide between his shirt with the descriptions various trolls on it and the one with sneakered bacon and chicken legs on it that said, "Track Meat". The decision was made to go with the classic look: trolls. I mean wouldn't you if your pastor, and "very friend" as the boy calls him, was coming to be your special guest for lunch? Getting him to sit still long enough to eat breakfast was a chore, but I did it and deposited him at school. A couple hours later, Pastor Daniel and I found ourselves in a never ending staff meeting, looking at our watches and knowing we needed to get him to his appointment post haste. We got him signed in and name tagged up and then headed on down to the classroom. The kids were in art, so he had a little bit of time to check out the classroom and visit with his teacher, who also goes to our church. They came down the hall, bubble bubble ducktail style, and entered the room while staring at this man in their room. My son, of course, flashed a few secret gang symbols to him and took his place on the rug with the others. Daniel was seated in the special guest chair. The boy said he was nervous about introducing him, but he did just fine. We had recorded a little introduction on the iPad and played it, but it was not needed. Mrs. R then did a little explaining to the children about his job and he added in things here and there. Then the high pressure portion of Jeopardy began: Question and Answer time. Most of the questions were the usual "What do you do" and "What is your church name". These, as they always do with little guys, lead to rapid fire subject switching. "I sometimes go to the hospital"...."My mamaw works at the hospital"..."I went to the hospital once"...you get the idea. Then the question that cracked me up the most: "So like, um, in your job do you get to do much snowboarding? Cause I haven't been but I have a disc that I use in the snow sometimes." HAHAHAHAHA!!!! The answer was "No". Who knew that was not a required course in seminary. It was answered to his satisfaction and then it was time for lunch. He bravely ate the "chicken" nuggets. I didn't. I'm a chicken, I'll own it. The boy's little friend joined us and talked the whole time. It was quite entertaining.

The morning ended and everybody went back to their daily responsibilities, but not before the boy thanked his friend and posed for a picture to commemorate the occasion. As parents, we are so thankful for our pastors and the interest and care they take with our children. We are also grateful for the fact that they all have a sense of humor and can take time out of their busy schedules to talk about snowboarding with strange kids. It means more than they know.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment