Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Too many lasts...

Today was S's last field day of elementary school. Today was hot and loud and fun and chaotic and sweaty and very bittersweet. As I sat there in my orange chair watching these kids and remembering them in Kindergarten, the disbelief was overwhelming. My baby girl is about to graduate from the fifth grade...oh no. When did she go from a tiny little 6lb 5oz bundle to this:



It just takes my breath away. This creature who was given to us has grown into the nicest kid...and it breaks my heart. Time passes way too quickly.

After the field day excitement died down and the children went to bed, I sat down to write notes to the boy's teachers this year. I have tried to suppress the emotions that I knew would be coming during this process. Well, the breakdown came and it came like floodwaters. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I am absolutely exhausted, but I realized that we have had a child in that preschool since 2002. All three children have had the same pre-K teachers. We are more than emotionally tied to that place. Now my baby, my youngest, is having his very last day of preschool...ever....tomorrow. The thought of that sweet little guy going from the safe and sweet protection of preschool to the cold reality of full day public school kindergarten, well, I'm a mess. I need to remember, however, that he is stronger than I give him credit for and he will make his way in spite of me....



....even if I drag him to field day all day and bore him to tears.....
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment